Forward Progression

After a rocky few days, I feel like we are finally making steady progress in the right direction. We’ve made some cuts to our itinerary that was unfortunate but necessary, and for the next week, we know exactly where we’re going and where we’re staying, which is a nice relief.

After leaving Galway, we went took a train back to Dublin, a quick taxi to the bus stop, and then jumped on a bus up to Belfast. The north of Ireland is so different from the Republic of Ireland! You can feel the shift in economy and see the nuanced differences of the British rule. In some ways, Northern Ireland is much better off than the southern three territories, but I still prefer my ROI.

We spent two days in Belfast and we saw the Titanic Experience and did a bit of wandering around the city on the first day. The second day was filled with a tour to the Giant’s Causeway, a last minute addition we made based on a recommendation from one of my co-workers. It was a great decision! The Causeway was a wonderfully odd place that made me think of fantasy novels and oyster crackers. I’ll post a picture update soon so that you can see what I mean.

Early the next morning, we took a bus to a ferry across to Scotland. It was my first experience of a ferry and it was quite enjoyable. I’ve never been on a cruise ship, but Barbara assured me they were very similar in amenities, but obviously much different in size.

Scotland was nice, but I felt as though I was missing a giant portion of the country, as we did not get the chance to see any real countryside or Highlands. Glasgow had some beautiful architecture and an incredible Necropolis that I very much enjoyed wandering around, but after two full days there, we had exhausted everything there was to do.

We took the overnight bus out of Glasgow and slept on beds that reminded me more of coffins in their size and shape. Barbara and I both had difficulty sleeping, and I woke up with a horrible crink in my lower back because my legs were just a little too long to fit comfortably. But it was a fun experience, nonetheless.

Right now the bus is on a layover in Cardiff. All the beds have been re-converted into seats and we’re waiting for the last push into Bristol, where we will spend two days and nights before heading into London.

Barbara and I are getting along much better, though it’s still a bit touchy at times. Our first day in Glasgow we split off from each other and each did our own thing. The separation really seemed to do us both good. I’m hopeful that we can continue to enjoy each other’s company as well as this trip.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s